Thursday, March 17, 2016

Gayle, Afridi lead West Indies, Pakistan wins

Gayle, Afridi lead West Indies, Pakistan wins

Chris Gayle has smashed a century while Shahid Afridi rediscovered his boom with the bat as the veteran destroyers powered the West Indies and Pakistan to victories at the World Twenty20. Gayle struck 11 sixes at Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium in a 47-ball century as the West Indies comfortably chased down England’s total of 6 for 182 with 11 balls remaining in their tournament opener. Afridi starred with bat and ball as he skippered Pakistan to a comprehensive 55-run victory against Bangladesh in Kolkata, drawing a line under his team’s troubled build-up. Both men had faced some hostile headlines in recent weeks and they revelled in their triumphs, with Gayle saying he had been on a mission to entertain his team-mate Sulieman Benn. “Before I went out Sulieman said you’re going to ‘entertain me’,” said a beaming Gayle after hitting the third fastest international T20 century and the quickest in a World Twenty20 tournament. “I wanted to entertain my team-mate - he’s my drinking partner as well.” After his blistering 19-ball 49 helped Pakistan post a commanding total of 5 for 201, Afridi took two key wickets in a tidy spell that helped limit Bangladesh to 6 for 146 from its 20 overs. A relieved Afridi, accused in some quarters of being a “traitor” for saying he received more “love” from Indian than Pakistani fans, said he was proud to have led by his example. “It’s a big event and I thought I should take responsibility as the captain,” Afridi said after being named man-of-the-match. While his batting pyrotechnics once earned him the nickname “Boom Boom”, Afridi has endured a torrid time at the crease in the last couple of years and some observers felt his ability to play a match-winning innings had gone for good. But after promoting himself to number four in the order, Afridi smacked four boundaries and four sixes to help Pakistan register their second highest score in T20s. “I was hungry. I was keen to perform well for my country... As senior player, I had to lead by example,” he said

No comments:

Post a Comment